The first mention of a Hillel at the University of Miami is in December 1940 and the first B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundation at UM was started in 1941. Originally located in a storefront on Ponce de Leon Blvd in downtown Coral Gables, the new Hillel Building was built in 1953.
The Greater Miami Hillel Foundation Inc. was established in 1953 to serve as a home for Jewish students at the University of Miami. In August 2007, University of Miami Hillel reorganized and set a new team of professionals, lay leaders and dedicated students onto a journey of transformation and vision. Partnering with Jewish community leaders in the Miami area and with University faculty and staff, UM Hillel established a strategic planning Task Force to assess the needs of the Jewish students at the University of Miami and to create a new mission with long-term goals. With the support of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation and senior professional involvement from Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life, UM Hillel is creating a pluralistic and inclusive environment. UM Hillel seeks to foster the growth of UM Jewish students socially, spiritually, and professionally.
UM Hillel's new Braman Miller Center for Jewish Student Life is now open and here to serve the needs of all Jewish students at the University of Miami.